Ton period accumulate surprises? Despite your calculations or what your menstrual app, do you see your period coming on when it was not planned at all? Or are you going to experience particularly different and unbalanced cycles, very long then short, with a light flow then very abundant? In short, it's a complete mess! You are then subject to irregular periods or to irregular menstrual cycles.
With these atypical periods, difficult to organize. You always have to anticipate a pair of period panties emergency (just in case), it is also difficult to get pregnant! Disordered feminine cycles can lead to several important problems in a woman's life.
No taboo between us, many women unfortunately know this problem! For many reasons, they will experience irregular menstruation, short, lengthened, absent or multiplied in the cycle. A beautiful chaos that we would like to avoid!
So, today, Louloucup gives you some explanations, some possible reasons for irregular periods, menstrual cycle disorders but also potential avenues and solutions to remedy the problem.
First of all, what is defined as irregular periods?
There are a lot of scenarios covered by the term “irregular rules”. A definition is in order:
- Periods are said to be irregular when they occur at an unexpected date, earlier or later, compared to your usual cycle. You note several days behind or several days ahead of the forecast. the first day of menstruation is therefore a surprise and can be taken by surprise. Not practical or friendly!
- A cycle is irregular when it is too short (polymenorrhea, cycle less than 25 days) or too long (spaniomenorrhea, more than 35 days). A regular menstrual cycle and normal is on average 28 days. Of course, no woman experiences perfect, regular 28-day cycles all their lives. These will evolve, change, shift between the puberty and menopause. It is neither disturbing nor serious. It is rather normal and natural, on the contrary. On the other hand, it is considered irregular when the short or long cycles settle over time.
- You have irregular periods if your periods are not substantially the same length from one cycle to the next. For example, your losses will last 5 days then in the next cycle, only 2 days, then in the next cycle 7 days, etc. As a reminder, regular periods are between 3 and 6 days.
- Ditto for the intensity of the menstrual flow and bleeding. Periods are irregular if you notice light spotting (oligomenorrhea) then in the following cycle particularly abundant losses (menorrhagia).
You will especially remember that we talk about irregularity when the periods are not alike from one cycle to another (volume, intensity, duration, frequency, etc.)
What can be the reasons for irregular periods?
It is important to know your period , his body and observe the signs. Because an orderly and well-established menstrual cycle is the sign of a healthy body. On the other hand, if you detect several anomalies, several irregularities, you can ask yourself questions, without worrying too much. Several very different causes can impact the periods, their arrival, their intensity or their frequency.
- La contraception is one of the main reasons. Hormonal contraception disrupts your cycle by depriving it of ovulation. The pill, the hormonal IUD or even the subcutaneous implant alter your periods. This may suit some women who prefer not to have them. Still others prefer to continue living them to reassure themselves.
- A significant psychological event, an emotional shock, significant stress, or intense fatigue can impact your period. Jet lag, depression, the stress of an exam, bereavement, shock following an accident or even the practice of a high-level sport can unsurprisingly disrupt your cycles or deprive you of your periods (amenorrhea).
- A significant loss (thinness) or gain of weight (overweight), obesity, anorexia, eating disorders (bulimia) disturb a woman's menstrual cycle.
- Following childbirth, the return of diapers (return of periods) may take time to harmonize. Irregular periods can therefore be observed without undue concern. It takes several cycles for everything to fall back into place. The return of diapers occurs about 2 months after childbirth if the young mother is not breastfeeding. If, on the other hand, you are breastfeeding, the return of diapers is delayed during breastfeeding. The Prolactin (hormone produced by breastfeeding) delays ovulation and therefore menstruation.
- Irregular periods are often observed in adolescence during the first cycles, it is completely normal at puberty.
- It is also normal to notice a disorder after 45 years. The women in pre-menopause should not worry about this phenomenon. An irregular menstrual cycle is one of the symptoms of menopause.
- Drug treatments can interfere with menstruation. Heavy treatments (chemotherapy, etc.) like other specific medications can affect your periods and make them irregular.
- Certain illnesses can disrupt your periods (endometriosis, SPOK Polycystic ovary syndrome, dysfunction of thyroid, pituitary, hypothalamus, polyp, fibroid, benign tumor). In this case, irregular periods can be symptoms and can alert you to your condition.
Irregular periods, when should you worry?
As seen above, you can worry if you observe other symptoms in addition to irregular periods: pain, acne, hyperpilosity, very heavy bleeding, bleeding between your periods. Observe these disorders and do not hesitate to talk about them to a competent health professional who can reassure you and/or carry out further examinations in order to rule out potential illnesses. Doctor, gynecologist or a midwife must be present to answer all your questions. When to consult?
- When your irregular periods are accompanied by sharp, sharp pains that are difficult to bear on a daily basis, (called dysmenorrhea).
- When you have always had a well-defined cycle and suddenly everything is out of order (more abundant or on the contrary lighter), much longer or on the contrary much shorter than before.
- When you combine various disorders: pain during sexual intercourse, lower back pain, pelvic pain, dysmenorrhea, etc.
Putting your rules back on the right track, possible?
So are there solutions to have a regular menstrual cycle? Natural treatments? Homemade solutions? Or necessarily a more supervised treatment by a doctor? Hard to say. First of all, it is necessary to know the causes of these disorders and to treat them.
Some estrogen-progestogen contraceptives (see our dedicated article Contraception & Menstruation) based on hormones (estrogen et progesterone) can be adjusted to the nearest day. The mini-dose or combined pill in 21 days + 7 days in placebo tablets gives way to well-regulated and fixed “rules”. Artificial, they are present to reassure the woman and can even be avoided. It is the same for the vaginal ring or the contraceptive patch. Of the withdrawal bleeding take place in the fourth week. Hormonal treatment can therefore often be the solution for women experiencing highly disturbed menstruation.
If the disorder is emotional or psychological (stress, fatigue, etc.). You can therefore remedy this by working on it with the help of a psychologist. You will then see a return to normal very quickly.
Periods can be irregular, but never uncomfortable with our teen period panties and our Loulou menstrual cup ! Equip yourself with the best protections to spend period days dry and confident. Wait no more and shop your lot quickly !